Mattis blames Trump for the violence of the mob rule within the Capitol
Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis (R) listens as United States President Donald J. Trump (L) makes remarks during a meeting with members of his cabinet in the White House Cabinet Room on March 8, 2018 in Washington, DC.
Michael Reynolds | Getty Images News | Getty Images
WASHINGTON – Former Secretary of Defense James Mattis blamed President Donald Trump for the unrest in the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday night.
“Today’s violent attack on our Capitol, an attempt to subjugate American democracy through mob rule, was fueled by Mr. Trump,” Mattis wrote in a statement.
Mattis, who served as Trump’s first defense minister, said the president had used the nation’s highest role in government to “destroy confidence in our elections and poison our respect for fellow citizens.”
“Our constitution and our republic will overcome this stain and we, the people, will come together again to form a more perfect union, while Mr Trump will rightly leave a man without a land,” wrote Mattis.
The stabbing statement from the distinguished Marine with a four-decade military career marks the second time Mattis has broken his silence since he left the Trump administration.
In June last year, Mattis became embroiled in Trump after demonstrators were forcibly evacuated from Lafayette Square to allow the president to take part in a photo op with some members of his cabinet. Subsequent riots, some of which turned violent, prompted Trump to urge governors to use tougher tactics and greater violence when confronting protesters.
The protests, which rocked DC for more than a week, were sparked by the police murder of George Floyd. Floyd died after a Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck.
“Donald Trump is the first president in my life who doesn’t try to unite the American people – he doesn’t even pretend to try. Instead, he’s trying to divide us,” Mattis wrote in a damning statement issued by The Atlantic was published.
“We are witnessing the consequences of three years of these deliberate efforts. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership,” he wrote, adding that he “watched the events of this week with anger and horror,” the four-star -Marine wrote.
President Donald Trump greets James Mattis as he poses for a photo prior to his meeting at Trump International Golf Club in Bedminster Township, New Jersey.
Drew Angerer | Getty Images
On Sunday, the nation’s ten living defense ministers issued an ominous warning that the US military should play no role in determining the outcome of a US election.
“Each of us has sworn an oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies at home and abroad. We have not sworn it to either individual or party,” said Defense Secretaries Mark Esper, James Mattis, Ash Carter, Chuck Hagel and Leon Panetta, Dick Cheney, William Cohen, Robert Gates, William Perry and Donald Rumsfeld in a comment published in the Washington Post on Sunday.
Former defense ministers, who have jointly overseen the American armed forces for nearly 50 years, argued that “the time to question the results” of the US presidential election was over.
“Our elections have taken place. Recounts and audits have been carried out. The courts have addressed challenges. The governors have confirmed the results. And the electoral college has voted. The time for questioning the results has expired; the time for the formal count of the in the constitution and statute mandated electoral college votes have arrived, “wrote former defense ministers, including two who served under Trump.
The secretaries urged Trump’s incumbent Secretary of Defense Miller, as well as policy officials and officials, “not to take any political action that undermines election results or hinders the success of the new team.”